Monday, August 10, 2009

Criminalizing the Poor

It deeply disturbs me that some states finger print Medicaid, Food Stamp and Social Welfare applicants.

I was shocked to witness this first hand in New York State while I was a graduate student at Columbia. My health insurance would not cover due to pre-existing conditions and I went bankrupt (financially, morally, and in every way that counts) spending over $152,000 in student loans trying to maintain my health so I could finish my PhD in public policy. A pipe dream now... I ran out of money (and faith in the system) the last semester of my degree.

As if they don't treat those living in poverty bad enough in America, must they send an underlying message that we are criminals as well? They sure treat us that way.

Please tell me what crime I committed. I would be happy to serve my time. At least I could count on being fed, housed, and govt. healthcare!

Elyssa Durant, Ed.M.
Nashville, Tennessee
United States of America

No comments:

Post a Comment

Elyssa D. Durant, Ed.M.